Thursday 30 September 2010

Whiskeytown Lake

Whiskeytown Lake is completely beautiful, it is about a 30 min drive out of Redding and well worth the trip.  Whiskeytown still exists but is at the bottom of the lake! I'm not completely sure why it is called Whiskey Town  - something to do with Whiskey barrels falling off a donkey and rolling into the lake - I do know it was part of the Gold Rush as was alot of this area. 
I've been there a couple of times now and will definately be going again. Both trips have taken me to Brandy Creek which has a large beach and BBQ facilities (there are signs about bears all over).  You can take a Kayak trip with a Ranger and in the summer you can do a night time one too.
On the last visit I swam in the lake the view was amazing, floating in the lake I was looking across at a huge expanse of water edged by hills with Osprey flying overhead

 
                     Brandy Creek
  
                                               My housemate Penny tanning her back

No comments:

Post a Comment